70 people sick in China after eating pork with steroids
At least 70 people fell ill in Chinese province of Guangdong after eating pork meat tainted with an illegal feed additive, said the newspaper China Daily. The pigs were given clenbuterol, a steroid used to prevent animals from gaining fat, and thus producing more lean meat. Ingestion of clenbuterol can be fatal for humans, and the drug is banned in several countries. However, it is sometimes used illegally to accelerate weight loss or, by athletes, to build muscle.